"If by romanticism one means the free manifestation of my personal impulses, distancing myself from the rules set in schools, and my distaste for the recipes of the academy, I must confess that not only am I a romantic, I was from the age of 15." -Eugène Delacroix

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Wordsworth's Influences

Born and raised in the Lake District, a notoriously scenic region in northwestern England, Wordsworth developed a love for nature at an early age. He spent his childhood outdoors, surrounded by mountains, trees, and lakes. Wordsworth's fondness of nature may have been what initially drew him to Shakespeare, whose works his father introduced to him. Shakespeare used nature to articulate themes within his writing; Consider his famous line, "shall I compare thee to a summer's day." In one of his Ballads, Wordsworth discussed how much he respects and appreciates Shakespeare.

Politics and the French Revolution also had a considerable influence on Wordsworth and his writing. While visiting France as a young adult, Wordsworth was fascinated by the revolutionary spirit of the country. Here, he formed his early political opinions and grew a hatred of tyranny. His newfound interest in politics broadened his mind and strengthened the themes of his poetry.

Works Cited

Shakespeare, William. “Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer’s Day? (Sonnet 18).” Poets.org, Academy of American Poets, 14 Mar. 2016, www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/shall-i-compare-thee-summers-day-sonnet-18.





No comments:

Post a Comment