"If by romanticism one means the free manifestation of my personal impulses, distancing myself from the rules set in schools, and my distaste for the recipes of the academy, I must confess that not only am I a romantic, I was from the age of 15." -Eugène Delacroix

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Significance

Romantic attitudes began to spread in the late 1700s, shaping people's thoughts and opinions of not only literature, but also art, music, and even their perception of the individual. Romanticism in literature reintroduced the concept of writing about individual thought and personal feeling and experience. Many began to appreciate the importance of nature, feel more in touch with their emotions, and indulge in personal pleasure and fulfillment. The newfound emphasis on imagination and emotion allowed poets to flourish and express themselves in ways that would have been previously frowned at. Poets were now free to interpret reality however they pleased, and passion was revived.

No comments:

Post a Comment