"If by romanticism one means the free manifestation of my personal impulses, distancing myself from the rules set in schools, and my distaste for the recipes of the academy, I must confess that not only am I a romantic, I was from the age of 15." -Eugène Delacroix

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Class Reflection

Taking the time to read and analyze the assigned poems ended up being much more enjoyable than I expected. I've never cared much for poetry, but I believe this is because I never took the time to read and appreciate it. Some of the poems elicited a pleasant feeling and provided comfort (I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud), some allowed me to feel more empathetic towards certain issues (Dulce Et Decorum Est), and some required much more thought to find the meaning of, leading me to expand my analyzation skills (Ars Poetica). I've been told that I can be too "to the point," literal, black and white, et cetera, especially when writing or reading literature. Finding enjoyment in the works from this class caused me to organically ponder elements of writing, among countless other topics relevant to literature.

The most significant thing I feel I got out of this class was the realization that the arts are just as important as science (and more indulgent and enjoyable than I was ever able to see). On the level of an individual, I believe art and science work together to create balance in regards to one's outlook on life, personal fulfillment, and mental health; This is at least true in my case. Looking further into Romanticism, the Age of Enlightenment, and Realism played a large role in helping me come to this realization. 

No comments:

Post a Comment